Friday, May 22, 2009

Friday in Chinatown

The day began with classes again for me. The morning class was all about the big flood last year in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The Fire Chief and City Clerk were very interesting. Then the Planner got up and put us all to sleep. I began to text my friend at work (where it has been raining all week, seriously they have over 25.5 inches of rain at home right now). He was upset that I was having fun here in Chicago while they were dealing with the weather at home. I told him that I was learning how to build an ark! The afternoon session was the ten step program for record management. When I got out at 4 I met up with Chuck and we rode the subway to Chinatown. The ride was ok, but I wouldn't want to ride it on a daily basis. I will keep my jeep:) Here are some entrance photos to the block if you click on a picture, it should get larger for you. I must say, all the souvenier shops are basically the same inside. I found the cutest silk kimono for our dog Zoey. I can't wait to put it on her when I get home. Chuck wanted to try something from one of the bakeries. We popped in and he chose a glazed duck egg. Now I don't have a picture to show you because I didn't expect his reaction. He has an iron stomach and eats just about anything. This was an oval shaped mound of pastry that was glazed. The first bite was ok, just dough. Then he hit the "filling". We have no idea what it was, but it stated creamy and was the color of baby poop. Then he hit the hard odd shaped item in the middle. It was dark brown and looked like a duck bill. The look on his face was priceless. So after walking the block of gift shops, we went into the Triple Crown restaurant for dinner. We had a window seat on the second floor overlooking the street. This is a shot Chuck took while we waited on our entrees. I was not too impressed with the food.

I ordered stir fry shrimp and scallops. I had a choice of just stir fry, add XO sauce, add broccoli or add chives. I asked the clerk what XO sauce was and the best she could say was that it was black. HMMM, no thanks. Just give me the stir fry. Chuck ordered sweet and sour chicken which was ok. Mine came with broccoli and peppers. If you know me, you know that I just ate the seafood. Dessert came with the dinner, we had a slice of what I think was jello. One half was red and it was see-through, the other half was yellow but it was thick. They did not give us any fortune cookies. It was a good thing I bought some in the gift shop. Chuck asked the waitress to box up what he didn't finish and we ended up giving that away to a homeless guy who wanted to draw our picture outside the subway station.




Here are some other pictures that Chuck today while I was in class. Enjoy!












Tomorrow is our last day to sightsee after my class is over. We have a couple things in mind, we just need to figure out what bus, or subway can get us there.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment, stop by again soon!